Thursday 13 March 2014

Individual Objects

After experimenting, I have come to the conclusion that I will be using three different types of to 
run materials along the chains of my noise maker: tin, metal and plastic. 
This selection both works in harmony with out sounding exactly the same.

the final selection of objects: metal, tin and plastic.
METAL: I found this material in the workshop and began manipulating it with pliers. 
At first I made a small loop with the metal – this made a great sound, relatively loud compared 
to the other materials however because of its size it easily became caught on the chain. 
Next I made a over sized loop (about 10cm across) this had the opposite issue it didn’t have 
enough connection to the chain so I settled on loops with a diameter of about 5cm. 
To exaggerate this sound I ended up with 5 loops.

To add variation I also rolled a cylinder out of the metal, its longer and made from multiple 
layers this means that the sound is different, it seems to be 
slightly deeper in tone.

TIN: I continued using this original object as through out experimentation I have always 
found that metal on metal creates the best sound. I used the pieces of tin I already had from 
the previous noisemaker – they worked well so why fix what isn’t broken?

Although the tin and metal seem to make the same sound there is a subtle difference that is 
brought out more depending on how the metals are manipulated. 
The tin makes a softer more high pitch noise where as the metal makes a much 
louder slightly deeper noise.

PLASTIC: The decision to use this was a random one. It was a ‘what happens if I put this on here’
 moment. Because I was using so much metal I wanted to introduce something that would contrast. 
The plastic against the chain creates a much much deeper sound – almost a clicking or a tapping. 
It works well to break up the metal on metal sound as it’s a much higher sound, more of a clinking 
or tingling sound.

The four styles of chain I'm using

The thickness of the chain drastically effects what sound is produced. I have selected a variety of chains
 in the hope it will give a range of noises I can ‘play’.

Left to right
One - This is a medium size chain, the size of its looks means it has lots of dips in the surface for the
 objects to rub agains meaning it creates a relatively loud sound. 
TwoThis thin chain has barely any dips so it give more of a scraping sound when objects move
 across it. The sound is less metallic as there is less metal on metal. This also means its a softer sound. 
Three - Repeat of chain One 
Four - While this is a thicker chain that the first its flatter and has a much shallower dip between e
ach loop so the sound made by objects passing over isn't as distinct. 
Five - This is the thickest chain used on my sound maker. It has the greatest change in texture there 
fore creates the loudest sound when objects pass over it.
Six - Repeat of chain two. 


Above are two objets that I experimented with but they didn't turn out so well:

Hinge: I thought I may be able to use hinges as another metal on metal element. As I worked with 
the hingers on the wire I found that if I put it through one hole, it became to weighted on the 
opposite sides it wouldn't run down the chain smoothly. If i thread it through two hole it also 
became stuck as the hinge became hooked on the ruts in the chain.

Wood: I also looked at using wood to provide change from the sound of metal but because it was 
so light it didn't travel well and became stuck easily. Also because its softer than metal or plastic it 
didn't make a loud enough sound during a performance it would be drowned out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment